Thursday, January 29, 2009

"Stay upright for a while," Marc says...

I learned how to snowboard on Sunday! In fact, I made it down the mountain (falling mostly) in decent shape before going to the class!
 
...only, I didn't make it to class...

As I was standing there at the bottom talking with Carly, I lost my balance, landed on my behind, and cracked my wrist. Poor form, if I do say so myself. I was stunned to realize I had broken my wrist just standing there. I felt the crunch and had a markedly delayed onset of pain (though nearly immediate loss of finger function). After twenty minutes I was almost certain I had broken the radial head in my left arm. I had actually thought of doing another run before it really sank in what had happened!

I feel compelled to put in a plug for ski patrol at Steven's Pass here. No, I didn't get anything dramatic- I walked myself into the clinic. It's just that they were friendly, helpful, and efficient. Also, my splint consisted of cardboard measured out to the length of my forearm lined with quilting batting and held in place by masking tape. It was quite the look. 

Anyway, Nearly four hours and 800 mg of ibuprofin later, the ER xray was ill defined and I was casted (in plaster this time) with a presumed fracture of a small wrist bone. Which is why I feel somewhat better having gone to the follow-up doctor today and discovering that it is indeed a non-displaced radial head fracture. As I sat there trying to describe how it felt, the doctor said, "you don't need to convince me- the fracture line is right here on the xray!"

I was hoping that if I had to be more permanently casted that I could pick a cool color like neon green or hot pink, but alas, it wasn't to be. Perhaps it's for the best though because I got a removable cast- who knew?? As I proclaimed how relieved I was that I'd be able to shower somewhat normally, they told me that sadly, I still have to wear it there and cover it up with a plastic bag old school style. I can only remove it for a couple minutes every few days to get the itches out, change the liner, and clean the thing off. It occurred to me that perhaps it's just as well. I mean, how awful would it be for the bone to displace while you're naked in the shower? Talk about adding insult to injury...

Anyway, this post is a public thank you to some people:

Katie, thank you for being in the right place at the right time! Seeing you standing in front of me in the ER waiting room when I opened my eyes was a huge relief. It's a good feeling to know a friend is not only with you, but helping out on the medical side. Sorry for the tears and vomiting of expired Gatorade- if I recall, vomit isn't your bodily fluid of choice :)

Erica, the food, helping out with The Beast and house stuff, and especially washing my hair and putting it up was great. Did I mention the food? Gene Juarez should hire you on :)

Everyone else, thanks for the offers of help (and taking me skiing in the first place!). I can't wait to go again, and I may yet take you up on those offers- this whole entirely one-handed thing is baffling and frustrating...

1 comment:

  1. Actually, vomiting isn't so bad...poop is my least favorite bodily fluid of choice, so i'm glad you didn't do that. sorry about the expired gatorade! I gave some to a patient yesterday, and checked the date to be sure. she did not vomit.

    ReplyDelete