Monday, February 23, 2009

So this mime walks into the Space Needle...

On my way home from downtown the other day, I was stopped at a light in front of the Seattle Center (also in front of the KOMO 4 station which, for you Grey's Anatomy fans, plays the front facade of Seattle Grace Hospital). It was one of those beautiful Seattle winter days with blue skies, a chilly breeze, and people optimistically wearing shorts and sandals (with socks of course). 



(sorry, I couldn't help it...)

Anyway, as the red light was nearing its end, I noticed two men scurrying across the crosswalk. About the time it dawned on me what they were wearing, I also noticed one was tying his shoe... only he had slip-on loafers. They were mimes! And they were giving us an impromptu show in the crosswalk! I started laughing as they stumbled over imaginary boulders and carried on conversations with the air, pretending to drop things and smiling at us.

As a general rule, Seattleites don't honk their car horns. Instead, they generally give a dour look and go all passive-aggressive, flipping the bird under the dashboard. Glancing at the cars around me, though, I was pleasantly surprised to find myself laughing along with all the other drivers as well. 

It was fun :)

No comments:

Post a Comment