Tuesday, April 21, 2009

A rant

The phlebotomist blew my AC. Blew. My. AC

I mean, really? I'm a healthy twenty-eight year old female in for a routine lab draw. If you were a newbie I would shrug my shoulders. In fact, I'd volunteer to let you practice on me, but when you start cracking jokes about how, "I've done a million of these and have never felt a thing," then I assume you're making light of it all since it's second nature by now. I don't expect you to jab the butterfly needle into my arm and though the gigantic vein at nearly a ninety degree angle. Good Lord woman, where did you learn to draw? Carpentry school? 

Now I hate needles as much as the next person (yes, yes, oh the irony, blah, blah), but I've learned to more or less control myself. I don't scream and flail about anymore... on the outside. But today I nearly lost it. I don't know, something about the whole staff being sick, nobody washing hands at all, and general incompetence. Are these people for real? The mind, it boggles. 

All I have to say is that the bruise better be gone by the wedding!

2 comments:

  1. I had a similar experience when I had my 12 week blood draw (a lovely 9 viles collected). The lady kept telling me how crummy my veins were. She poked my right arm twice and left arm once to get a good spot (leaving ugly bruises), and she kept jerking the needle around the whole time she filled the viles.
    As a regular blood donor, I've always been told I have great veins (and the blood bank uses a much bigger needle!) I was so po'd by the time I left there. A few weeks later I had to have more blood drawn and I was assigned to the same lady, but I asked that someone else do my blood draw, I didn't want her near my veins.
    Good luck with the bruise! I hope it heals quickly :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's even worse. Veins on pregnant women are usually the size of garden hoses! Sorry you had to go through that, but I'm glad you said something to them next time :)

    ReplyDelete