Friday, October 2, 2009

Home again, home again, jiggidy jig!

As many of you may know by now, I finished my time on the Africa Mercy a bit early and headed to Indiana to spend some time with my family and Gazza (Peleke doesn't return for a bit). I'd been entertaining the thought for a while after being sick for so long, but it hadn't been the right time. Only after a lot of thoughts, prayers, and conversations last weekend did I find the peace to make the decision to come home. God blessed me overwhelmingly with Mercy Ships, and there are things about my experience I'll never be able to convey. The experience isn't quite what I had in mind, but some of it was and I gained more than I could have imagined professionally, socially, and spiritually.

I really hope I can return to the Africa Mercy at another time. I know the vast majority of my friends won't be there (indeed, most of them left this week with me), but I also know how unique that community is- it lends itself well to making friends. The first group will always have a special place in my heart. I miss you all immensely! So we'll see what God has planned.

I'll continue writing about the experience in the weeks to come (this time with more pictures), but for the moment, posts may be slow in coming. This cough has been going on for over two months and I'm pretty worn out. My main focus is enjoying my family and reconnecting with The Beast. The food, rest, and showers are pretty great, too, but the fall weather is awesome. Trees are turning colors and the days are cool and clear- a far cry from hot, humid, dirty Cotonou!

2 comments:

  1. Welcome back! It sounds like you had a good adventure. Isn't it crazy how life ends up? A year ago if we were on one of our walks at Greenlake or hanging out in front of my fireplace, I doubt either of us would have imagined our lives would have us where they are now, a year later (you married and traveling, me home with a new baby). But God has blessed us both :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome home! Any chance you'll stop by chicago? Let me know which weekend and i'll make sure to be at home!

    ReplyDelete