Thursday, January 27, 2011

Investing

So we're trying to eat healthier these days. Not like we were eating too badly before, but apparently it's not as easy to lose weight in your late 20's and early 30's. Meaning, you can't just skip a piece of cake here and a greasy lunch there and then just sit back and watch the pounds roll off. Nope, no more batches of cookie dough or frosting anymore (oh yes we did!). All the little indiscretionary snacks add up. We've both noticed it, and now is the time to stop it before it snowballs. I've been a grazer for a long time, and I'm finding it harder to change the food we graze off of, though, than to change actual meals. Fortunately, I usually graze on nuts and dried fruit.

I know little about nutrition and even less about cooking. Anyone reading this who knows me at all is currently snorting whatever they were drinking out their noses because, um, do I even know a single thing about cooking? Actually, I'm proud to say yes. I know three things!

1. How to cook a chicken.
2. How to cook a potato.
3. How to boil water for hard boiled eggs.

Hey, those do too count! Besides, I might know one or two more things. Like how to use the microwave and toaster.

But back to my point. I've decided that I'll focus on the meals first, because that's something I have control over. When it comes to snacking, we're on our own. Whatever he eats at work is his business. Whatever I eat when he's gone is mine. At least I can say that we're eating healthy at dinner (and usually breakfast). To that end, one of the things we've been doing is eating a lot of quinoa. Seriously good stuff people! Gluten-free, wheat-free, low in sodium, and lots of protein! And it's versatile- you can use it as a pasta or as more of a grain dish.

But I got to thinking today when I went to pick up the quinoa pasta today. I wondered why more people aren't flocking to it. I mean, it tastes virtually the same as traditional pasta (in my opinion) and is easy to get. A quick price comparison revealed why, I think. It's not expensive by any stretch (at least at the commissary), but it's still more expensive than regular pasta and not sold in the same area. Sneaky.

That made me think a little bit more about something I constantly see in my life. Namely, I'd rather spend cheaper now regardless of the future. Often, I think that's good because I don't usually need the latest and greatest. With food, though, I don't feel quite the same. Yes, I feel a bit reluctant to buy organic and the sometimes more expensive alternatives, but when chosen for the right reasons (you know, not all "Organic! Woohoo!"), in the end I think we'll benefit. All it takes is one gander around a cardiac ICU to see that boy, do we ever pay for our choices!

Admittedly, I think genetics plays a large part in overall health, but there's no denying the role of lifestyle either. I have to keep reminding myself of this as I spend twice the amount of time I would normally spend grocery shopping so that I'm checking labels, finding alternatives, and comparing prices. It's scary how much high fructose corn syrup is in our foods! It's everywhere! No wonder 30% of the general population is showing up with non-alcoholic fatty liver. Yikes! I also have to remind myself that the amount of money I'm spending over the cheapest alternative is still a good investment. After all, I'd rather spend the money on healthier food now than spend it all in one fell swoop on an ER visit and subsequent admission for some aspect of heart disease down the road.

And, well, that's it. I guess I just wanted to put this thought out there to see if anyone wants to add to it. Just another idea that's been bouncing around this brain today.

No comments:

Post a Comment