Sunday, January 9, 2011

Sound and Fury

I think we can all agree that the last thing the internet needs is another blog adding to the cacophony. As I see it, there are a few general types of them out there- personal (aimed more and friends and family), work related (ie: mediblogs), home related (ie: mommy blogs), rec and leisure related (ie: crafts), and spiritual/religious. I'm sure there's a fair amount of crossover, but I imagine you have to define for yourself what you want your blog to be.

Somewhere in the crossover from single-nurse-with-crazy-dog-in-Seattle to unemployed-married-military-spouse-with-two-high-maintenance-dogs I lost my reasons to blog. The last thing I want to be is Shakespeare's idiot telling the tale of my life full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. Our lives, our privileged lives here in the United States, are much too blessed to signify nothing. On the contrary, we're saddled with the burden of gifts. Jesus said, "From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked."

What does this have to do with blogging? For me, it means I want my words to mean something. I want to touch people's hearts, be it through empathy, encouragement, or a call to action. Even uplifting amusement would be worthy of posting, I think. But more importantly, I want my words to reflect action. In Paul's letter to the Corinthians, he says,

"If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor, and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing."

I don't want to be any of those people, but in the blogging world, the first is most relevant. I don't want to "speak in the tongues of men and angels but have not love." I don't currently have work as a source of inspiration, and I'm not sure how much fodder the dogs will provide (after all, there's not a whole lot redeeming in Beast 1's horrendous haircut and Beast 2's antics). There are, of course, aspects of military life, some volunteer work, and a cause that's growing in importance to me, but is that what people want to hear about? And are my meager attempts at living out God's love and being part of the Church (the living Church of believers) worth writing about? With the gift of more free time than I ever imagined, I know I need to be just as busy as I was with work.

To be brutally honest, my greatest fear, one entirely not of God, might even be that I'm failing at these for all the world to see. That I'll be just another Christian in title only and broadcasting it all for the world to see, to boot.

That's why I'm going to do this. That's why I'm going to blog again. Not as some sort of fear-driven accountability (from the few who even read this), but as an act of faith that God will use me to show himself. I mean, just look at these guys!


These blogs mostly deal with African missions. What about the rest of us here?

No comments:

Post a Comment