Saturday, February 2, 2013

Family

Peleke's family has a thing about family names. As far as I'm aware, everyone born into the clan is given a name traceable to a previous member. I don't think this is unusual by any means, but we didn't grow up that way in my family. Anyway, this is to say that Peleke's namesake, both first and middle, was his grandfather (Peleke Senior, for the sake of blogging).

As a family Christmas gift, one of Peleke's brother's hunted down and printed off all the publications of Peleke Senior and put them into binders for everybody. He was a physician, you see, and was apparently associated with the local medical school to some degree. I've been fascinated reading through his fairly prolific research writings dating from 1934 to 1973. He was a surgeon, and the research certainly reflects that, but he appeared to be interested in more than just that (there's a thoughtful article written about Medicare in 1971). I mentioned once that I wish I could have met him and that from his writing, I think he had a neat sense of humor. I was met with a blank look at the latter half of the statement. Apparently he was not known for humor, but I still enjoy reading his work.

His common sense has been refreshing. For example, in regards to tetanus treatment, he said "the time-honored quiet darkened room is of great importance. It is too often either overlooked or not available." I don't know any reasonable person in the hospital who wouldn't agree! And the things we all took for granted in school as basic knowledge, such as not leaving NG suction on continuous and taking into account its effect on acid-base and electrolyte balances, was apparently learned the hard way. Likewise, the plastic cannulas used in IV's were once very new and merited a whole journal article on what to do if you accidentally lose it into the vessel!

A part of me fell even more in love with my grandfather-in-law when I read his 1942 article on the misuse of antibiotic compounds. If you know me at all, you know how I feel about the overuse and misuse of antibiotics, so if this isn't proof that I married into the right family, then...

One thing that I noticed and feel a bit sad about is how commonly "mongrel dogs" were used for experimentation. I'm not judging, and I'm grateful for modern medicine, I'm just not sure I could do it.

My favorite thing of his may be not a journal article but a simple letter to the editor of JAMA in 1971. Peleke Senior, in no uncertain terms, says NASA's medical contingent of the moon program is making fools of the medical profession with their attempts at sterilizing the module capsule upon reentry. He indicates that it's haphazard and poorly thought out. Tell us what you really think!

Loving this man and his namesake :)

No comments:

Post a Comment