Friday, March 8, 2013

Running, doodling and skeet

No, I haven't dropped this blog yet again. It's been kind of busy around here. Not in the no-time-to-take-a-breath busy, but enough that I don't want to sit down a couple times a week and write. I figure if I'm going to do this blog thing again, I will at least make sure it doesn't stress me out :)

So I ran a 5k! Nearly two years after the first of the most recent five surgeries and only five months after the last, I did it! Peleke was out of town (foiled by the Air Force once again), and my friends were running the half marathon, but I was still smiling when I crossed the finish line to a bunch of strangers. I might have even cried a few tears. Who would ever have guessed? Not me. To my surprise shock, I actually ran the whole thing too! By run I mean 12:20 minute miles, but hey! I ran a 5k! Wow.


I spent Saturday night in Seaside with a friend and her two other friends since the race was early Sunday morning. I can't remember when I've laughed so hard or long! But we weren't laughing in the morning- it was 38 degrees and windy out. Brr!! Some sweet neighbors had me over with another neighbor family Sunday evening for a nice family style dinner and a birthday cake. Was really a fantastic weekend.

As I mentioned, Peleke has been traveling. A lot. The Hooligans missed him, and both are on the bed napping with him as I write this. His parting gift from the trip is some upper respiratory bug. Poor guy is wiped out, but the Hooligans are happy enough for the excuse to cuddle in bed during the day with him.

Speaking of the Hooligans, when I was all laid up (and not snowed by drugs, that is) I doodled some cartoons of them. Because, you know, I'm the master arteest. I'm going to throw a couple up here in the next few weeks because, um, because I can.

Spring is definitely here in the Redneck Riviera. It's bittersweet because first of all, the winters just aren't a force to contend with anyway. But secondly, summer can't be far behind. I remember when I used to love summer... Anyway, for the time being, the weather is mostly ideal. Cool to warm during the day with cool to cold at night. Most excellent. Especially for this:


5 comments:

  1. I'm interested to learn more about the long term outcome of your derotational osteotomies. Have you been able to continue running? What sorts of negative side effects do you still experience due to your surgeries?

    Thanks,
    Brandon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brandon! I'm two years out from the first femoral & tibial dro's and nearly a year and a half from the second leg. I was told by several people to give it two full years for the full effect, and I that has proven to be accurate advice. I can honestly say that I have no negative side effects at this point from my first leg. With my second, most recent leg, I'm still working on getting internal hip rotation. Any ill effects I have are related to that. I'm optimistic that it will work out in the end, but it's difficult to retrain muscles after 30 years of incorrect usage. I'd be more than happy to communicate more at length with you, but for starters, I've posted a lot of information about the derotational osteotomies at this blog:

    www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=55423.0

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! I've actually read that entire thread. :-) I actually posted most of my history on the kneeguru also: http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=62144.0

    Have you seen any evidence of limitations on your running due to the dro's? It seems from your post that you had major issues with dislocations and instability before the dro's. I've had no problems in those areas, only soft tissue problems due to overuse of the wrong muscles (due to the rotation of my bones).

    My ultimate goal is to compete in triathlons, perhaps even complete an Ironman. Do you think those are reasonable goals following surgery such as these?

    Thanks for your time!
    Brandon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh good! I see you read Cranker's stuff too- she was a lifeline for me in the process. I actually have several things to say in regards to your KG post and questions you've asked on this blog. If it's ok with you, I'll address all of them on your KG post (thanks for the link). That website is a help to so many people, so answering there will help consolidate information! I also have an attachment to email you that you may find very interesting. I'll mail it to you through KG as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic, thank you!
    B

    ReplyDelete