Monday, November 16, 2009

still breathing

It's the same old thing- when there's nothing big to talk about, you find yourself with lots to say of minimal importance. When things get busy, there's too much to say of note so it ends up coming out like a five year old's rendition: an'nen we did this an'nen we did that an'nen we tried to do somefing an'nen we went to sleep!

So at the risk of being that five year old, here's the skinny:

After enjoying Peleke's early return and quiet time in Michigan, we had two days together back home to enjoy biking, eating sushi, and generally being our socially avoidant selves. In short, it was awesome. Then he took off again for the great state of Alabama, and I joined him here until mid-December.

Alabama isn't as bad as I'd been led to believe. Now, that's not to say it's a thrilling place to be either, but the weather has been mostly pleasant, the base is pretty, and our room is nice. I'm determined not to take those things for granted (dearth of social opportunities and a job notwithstanding). Most of all, it's still really great to be close to Peleke again. Poor guy is swamped between his training and his other schoolwork, but it's only for a few more weeks.

We've been doing a lot of driving with no slowing down in the near future. On the drive up, the speed limit creeping up from 50 mph to 70 mph, I found myself feeling pretty anxious. I realized that while I had driven on Beaver Island and then around home for a week, I haven't driven much and definitely not very fast. The thought of 50 being speedy is comical, I know, but it felt uncomfortably so. I'm still getting reacquainted with my hunk of metal.

As Peleke does homework, I've been doing more driving than usual for our road trips (read: more than ten minutes). He's learned first hand of my aversion to crunching Corn Nuts (only to be used in dire stay-awake situations!) and was a good sport to the Pat Green, Jeff Black, and John Denver ballads streaming steadily from the radio. I know, he's a saint. I won't lie, though-I won't miss all this time in the car.

In other news, I'm finding this place interesting. For the sake of blogging, I've deemed it RAFB (Random Air Force Base). More on it later. Right now I'm going to raid our dorm style fridge and attempt a walk without getting trampled by the random hoards of running airmen in blue and orange that have taken over the campus today...

No comments:

Post a Comment