Thursday, October 18, 2007

Born in the wrong century

Is it just me that has a phobia of leaving phone messages? I would avoid them at all costs growing up. I've learned to deal and to actually embrace the fact that I have to leave a tracing of my voice in the radio waves of the world (radio waves, right?), but I still feel weird and unsure what exactly to say without the usual prompting by the other person. So either it comes out as "I'll meet you there at this time" or "so, I think we're still meeting at (such and such), which reminds me of (such and such). I think I told you about that, but if I didn't, let me know because it's a good story. Oh, and do you still want to (such and such) because it'd be fun and maybe we could do (such and such) as well? See if (whatsherbutt) wants to come along too because she would like that..." And on and on until I realize this is getting long and end with, "ok so that's enough rambling. I'll see you there at this time."

Who needs therapeutic free association when we have voicemail?

2 comments:

  1. leaving phone messages still gives me funny stomach feelings, too. something about having things you say made permanent. even if only to be deleted 1 min later... every involuntary vocal noise gets kept. uhhh... uhhh... and, yes, i appreciated your latest entry. i'm glad the spanish have a word for that kind of (awesome) mindset. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oops. the spanish speaking, i mean.

    ReplyDelete