Saturday, October 13, 2007

Thoughts on a sunny day

So I felt awful last night and stayed home. I read on the couch and ate and drank and drifted in and out of sleep. Totally trippy.

Today, though, I woke up at noon and couldn't get back to sleep. A knock at the wrong door finally got me out of bed. As I sat on the porch in the sun, I felt less grouchy and while not physically much better I felt a little clearer in the head. I decided to take a leisurely ride down the BG trail because today was a beautiful Seattle day- sunny, warm-ish, colorful, and alive. I dragged myself down to Ballard and sat on the banks of the Lake Washington ship canal watching all the sailboats, kayaks, and motorboats heading to the locks. It was a nice mini vacation without a phone or any obligations. You know how when you're watching the sunrise you feel like you're in on a secret? I sort of felt that way today because I wasn't in bed where people would expect me to be. No, I don't think I'll ever get over the fact I'm working nights because I'm a day person with every fiber of my body.

As I sat there, not trusting my bike to not tumble over onto the rocks, I watched all the people on their boats and heard the bikers and runners up behind me. It was very peaceful. There were a few ducks that were hanging around too. One mallard swam up by my feet, looked right at me, and then started up with his throaty quack. I think he didn't like me there. As he swam away, he started flipping out. I mean, the thing started thrashing about and bobbing around in the water. I had to laugh out loud. He frantically swam a few feet and then stood up on a rock I hadn't noticed a few inches below the water. Balancing on one foot, he took the other and scratched the base of his neck. I didn't know ducks could contort like that! A few minutes later another duck hopped up on the rock for the same purpose. Funny, the ducks have an itching rock.

I started wondering if ducks flip out when they go through a spider web too, just like humans. That reminded me of Brian Regan's clip about spider web flipouts. I could only find part of the skit and in poor quality, but here you go:

No comments:

Post a Comment