Thursday, March 5, 2009

At least I finally saw Sleepless in Seattle last week!

So it looks like I'll be up and out of the Emerald City shortly. I knew it wouldn't be easy, but I'll admit I'm a bit surprised at how difficult I'm finding it to wrap my mind around the idea. I didn't expect it to be so soon, and I am finally beginning to feel at home here (home in the sense of a social group of some form).

I was telling someone the other night (well, let's be honest here... usually "someone" refers to Peleke nowadays) that my roots here are deeper, or at least broader, than I realized. Not that I was taking friends for granted, in fact quite the opposite. It's just that it took so long to get established and find friends here that it was quite subtle. Now, going through the process of pulling up anchor, I find myself connected in more ways than I'd appreciated*. I guess it's true- sometimes you really don't know what you've got 'til it's gone. (Not that I'm regretting this big change at all, mind you, it's just I'm learning things about myself and Seattle that I find interesting. I'm very excited to experience this with Peleke and The Beast in the future!)

Also, I was gathering emails for the evite to my going away dinner the other night** and grouped people by how I'd met them to keep it straight- FPCB, BCC, work #1, work #2, and other. Boy was "other" a random assortment! Some were from mutual friends (the primary way to do it here in Seattle apparently), the dog park, soccer, running, coffee shops, housing searches, strangers met on planes... funny, this Seattle life! 


*Only tangentially related- a resident the other day in rounds talked about how she "didn't appreciate the previously noted heart murmur." Now to clarify, that is correct usage of the word in medicalese... which is why I found the use of finger quotations when she said it perplexing. Odd, that's all.

**Email me if I missed you- it wasn't on purpose!

No comments:

Post a Comment