Sunday, March 27, 2011

In a nutshell

I realized for the sake of this particular blog (and not the readers of the other blog who want to know more medical details), I could really pare things down for simplicity's sake. The surgery on Monday did six things:

1. rotated the top of my femur outwards
2. rotated the top of my tibia inwards
3. sliced off the top front of my tibia (where the kneecap tendon attaches) and moved it away from the body midline
4. reconnected the outside part of my kneecap to the outside portion of the quad muscle (via tendon grafting). Actually, functionally you can't attach it to the muscle because it will tear. The other side of the tendon graft was attached directly to the end of my femur. I think.
5. tightened (read: shrinkwrapped) the inner part of my quad muscle to strengthen it
6. cut open the fascia 2/3 of the way down my shin (fascia is like a sausage casing if the muscle bundle was the sausage)

Numbers 1 and 2 should have been done to begin with.
Numbers 3 and 4 were reversals of previous surgeries.
Number 5 was a repeat.
Number 6 should have been done at one point but wasn't (unfortunately at a steep cost).

No comments:

Post a Comment