Thursday, July 31, 2008

Quack!

Wow. Tuesday was awesome! It was the first time in nearly eight months that I made it out of the house for more than two hours for something social... with the beast at home (and without catastrophe). Hooray! She was home for nearly five hours, and while she was more anxious than I'd like, she calmed down and we went to bed happy. 

I had a really fun time at the Duck Dodge! Dee and I met Erlin and Andy a few weeks ago and got invited along. I'd wanted to go ever since I started watching from Gasworks, so I was really excited. Dee left for Texas last weekend (as Gazza clearly reminds me by moping around and looking for them), so I was left to go alone. I can be relatively social, but I still freak out on the inside. Do we ever get over "will they like me?" Anyway, it was "prom night" and I hadn't had time to find a prom dress, so I was feeling doubly unsure about the whole thing. It turned out fine though- we all had a blast!

So the way it works is that there is a theme for the race and everybody dresses up accordingly. That's a big part of the experience- the race is just a unique venue! It's mayhem once it starts because while Lake Union seems big, it gets to feel very, very small when single man boats and huge America's Cup yachts all scramble around on the same course, ducking and dodging (get it? get it??). There are crashes with awful sounds and some yelling, but man is it cool! Afterwards everybody rafts up so that twenty or so boats are lashed together and everybody wanders around to eat, drink, and be merry.

Leigh and I were Duck Dodge virgins, so we got to do the ceremonial walk across all the boats choosing to kiss either the mast or master of each boat. We kissed most of the captains, but there were a few masts that seemed a much more appealing option ;) Anyway, it was a riot and we had a great guide to introduce us to all the boats. And then we got to watch a guy rock out on an accordion with his goth prom boat!

Our beautiful captain, Erlin.

Our studly second mate, Andre.

The Duck Dodge virgins.


Most of the crew!

No comments:

Post a Comment