Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Heartbreaking

I don't usually feel too compelled to write much about work here, but this is a topic I am both fascinated and, in a way, horrified by. It's awful for the families. How strangely we can break.

HLHS is a complex cardiac anomaly present at birth and deadly unless treated immediately. Prior to the surgeries now available, it was a death sentence. If you survive a series of three surgeries, you're pretty ok (so they tell me). Really the only "cure" is a heart transplant or successful completion of the three major heart surgeries. I stumbled upon this blog when searching for something else. I just felt like I should share it to give you all a peek into some of what goes on. I don't find work overwhelmingly sad most of the time, but these little guys get me.

No comments:

Post a Comment