Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Can scarcely believe it myself!

It feels surreal to be typing this out after eight long months...

The Beast is the best dog ever.  Yeah that's right, I said she's the best dog ever. I'll spare you her long list of positive attributes and get to the point- she's staying home now when I go to work! I know. I had finally accepted that she would always stay in my car for those longer hauls too. 

Back in the beginning, I was having the first of many tearful conversations with the Beast's behaviorist (I was still processing the fact that she even had a behaviorist and trying desperately to keep her so she wouldn't be put down). When she talked about Prozac and valium and keeping her in the car, I balked and asked, "what kind of person would drug a dog and keep it in the car??" She simply replied, "you." 

She told me the people who were really serious always found ways to make it work. I was devastated, in love, and determined. Somehow between the car, a saint of a dog walker, and some amazing friends, we made it work. Actually, there was also a lot of prozac, running, swimming, and cuddling there too. The weather, my schedule, and everything else just fell into place. Well, we finally put the last piece into place. Ragazza officially stays home while I work. The dog walker gets her out for a few hours and she's calmer than I could ever have dreamed when I come home.

As I sat down on the floor after work tonight, she lay down between my outstretched legs belly up, legs splayed, and looking up at me. I put my arms around her and scratched all her favorite places. When I paused, she looked back up at me and stretched. As I leaned over to kiss the top of head, she put her nose by my ear... and burped. 

I guess we're all good here.

No comments:

Post a Comment