Sunday, September 7, 2008

God pwns satan in the face!


Jason and I went to Deception Pass on Thursday. It's one of my favorite spots around here. I could just sit on the beach and watch the tide tear through all day. The beach also happens to have an endless supply of perfectly sized rocks for my slingshot. And smoothed glass.

Thursday was gorgeous out- the waves were lapping gently, the sun was shining warmly, and practically nobody was around. We both fell asleep on the blanket, the dog curled up next to me. All three of us woke up with a start when a wave crashed just inches from our feet. Apparently the tide was still rising. So with that, we walked down the beach and headed back up the trail to the car, refreshed from a perfect late summer's day nap.

Before beginning the long drive back to Seattle, though, we explored around the base of the bridge. The view was predictably stunning, but I was really amused by the graffiti. It wasn't really vulgar, as graffiti tends to be, but mostly idle ramblings and "I was here" type scrawlings. Some of my favorites:




I can't get the picture to upload, but there was this poem too:

And as the smart ship grew,
in stature grace & hue,
in shadowy silent distance,
grew the iceberg too.

It begs the question, standing under such an impressive structure and gazing out over the pass into the sound, what would you feel moved to write?

No comments:

Post a Comment