Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The Emptiest Day

They say you live in hospitals and trenches and towers in the sky.
And I'm not dying or fighting any wars except on the inside...

... The words I find impossible to mention are written on a star
They say that I can find you in a flower but I need you in the car.

I used to listen to this song on my way to work in Chicago. As song number two on a mix CD, it would come on just as I would turn south onto Lakeshore Drive in Lakeview. It helped me through some panicky mornings, and while I'm not in the same place, I've started listening to it again. Like the Pavovian dog that I am, when I listen to the words, I'm back in the car with the sun rising over Lake Michigan to my left and the city beginning to stir to my right. It was a peaceful start to some mighty stressful days.

And while they do say you live in hospitals, howsabout you swing by mine for a friendly chat? I haven't seen you around lately...

No comments:

Post a Comment