Sunday, February 24, 2008

Food for thought

I had a craving for fresh mushrooms the other day. I know it's a bizarre craving- I wonder what it indicates may be lacking in my diet. Aren't they mostly just cellulose and water? I can't stand cooked mushrooms but raw ones are good. Even so, I can't let myself look too closely at what I'm about to eat because it's a fungus, you know? Jock itch is a fungus. And it has gill thingies.

Anyway, Trader Joe's had a little container of them that I got, ate three, and then put in the fridge for later. Later turned out to be today and as I inspected them, it occurred to me that, not having looked closely before, I don't know what would indicate a mushroom gone bad. Mold? Another fungus? And then I started thinking about how bugs crawl on them in the woods and how do they make sure all the bugs are gone anyway (without pesticides, being organic and all)?

Then it also occurred to me that since my sense of taste and smell is currently limited to necrotic bowel, I probably wouldn't taste it if something was amiss. Then again, it might not make a difference. I would imagine getting sick from rotten mushrooms or the plague presents similarly.

Lastly, it occurred to me that I was giving the whole topic more thought than it probably deserved, but who cares? I've got nothing better to do!

Finishing off my inspection, I think I just successfully talked myself out of my snack. Possibly for good.

No comments:

Post a Comment