Thursday, February 7, 2008

This one is for my parents...





Thankfully, the fog of late has lifted.

As some of you may have guessed (woah, deja vu), I took a new job. I truly will only say good things about where I am now, but I have to get off nights. That's all there is to it. So I interviewed yesterday and decided to accept the offer. I put in my three weeks notice today, so starting March tenth, I will be a PICU nurse (pediatric ICU). Hopefully within the year I'll sub-specialize in pediatric cardiac ICU.

Holy moly, I know. Kids. I used to poke fun at all the nurses in school who only ever wanted to work with kids. I mean, how cliche, right? And then here I go... The tipping point was when I realized that I can love kids without actually wanting my own. *gasp* What kind of nurse could possibly not want kids, you ask? To which I reply, the kind who thinks not all patients are obnoxious- some are intubated. I kid, I kid! Sort of.

Anyway, suffice it to say that I'm a little nervous. I mean, my experience is largely adult cardiothoracic. Now I'll be taking care of the kids across the spectrum (transplant, sepsis, and all the things gone horribly wrong). Kids. The little things that can't rationalize or communicate. Actually, come to think of it, I sort of do that already. Minus the "little" part, that is. My back is killing me.

So yes, here we go again. I'm confident as I've ever been making a decision like this, and I'm excited! To whoever reads this thing at work now, thanks and I'll miss you! And to those of you in Arizona, I'm thinking about making a short jaunt down your way in the week between the jobs. I'll be driving (the dog and all) and want to be outside all the time, so get out yer hiking boots and let's go play!



1 comment:

  1. Yeah, it's kind of how I feel being a teacher and not particularly liking kids. Not disliking kids either.. just kind of ambivalent and able to get along with them either way. Although I do discover particular kids who just really stand out and endear themselves without any effort on either of our parts. It's pretty damn sweet. Reminds me that I really do get something out of this gig.

    Welcome back to daytime, Wendy. :)

    ReplyDelete