Saturday, February 23, 2008

Thinking

"It was growing late when I left. Night doesn't fall in the hills and hollows of central Kentucky. It rises from the depressions and clefts of mother earth, smudges contours and outlines, cloaks the hills in dark velvet, and reaches to embrace the luminous sky."
~Nadine Brewer in "Home to the Heart of Kentucky" Natl. Geographic 1982

A few months back, I got a decade of National Geographics for free from a guy on Craigslist (perusing the "free" section results in treasures every once in a while). I really liked this woman's description of nightfall in Kentucky. I know exactly what she's talking about, and it's one specific thing I love about southern Indiana and below. I feel like this also describes some of what I felt in West Virginia last fall when I went to visit Steff. I'm not quite sure why it makes me feel like I'm home, but it always has. I sort of miss it.

I'm lost in thought today. Didn't sleep well, walked around Greenlake three times (nearly nine miles) before work, and was off all evening at work. I had this song stuck in my head. I don't know why people feel the need to put inspiring but incredibly cheesy pictures to religious songs. So please look past that and listen to the words to one of my favorite David Crowder Band songs. The fact that he reminds me of a goat only adds to the fact that I appreciate and enjoy his music.



Time and time again I go back to this song because it gets me when he says, "you make everything glorious... what does that make me?" Now don't go thinking I believe I'm all that and a bag of cinnamon bears, but I do believe that God makes all things glorious. Dude, that's a lot to take in.

No comments:

Post a Comment