Tuesday, February 19, 2008

On being an adult

In response to "why don't you want kids?" I've begun using the "because I believe in child abuse" quip (credit where credit is due: Bob). It's a joke people. A joke. Even so, I don't think I'll be able to say that, working with kidlets and all now. Rats, it's a great line if only I could keep a straight face when I say it!

Oh, I decided to stay per diem at the current hospital in addition to the new job. That means I work two eight hour shifts a month. I think that'll be doable.

I was disappointed in myself because I got a little nervous when I realized I would have no health insurance for a few months between leaving The Forefront and when benefits kicked in at this hospital. It felt all grown up-ish, but more disconcerting, a bit too dependent on my part. I'd like to think I could survive all on my own without help from the Man (or The Hospital for that matter). You know, along the lines of "I am woman, hear me roar!" I used to have a t-shirt saying that. It was cool.

When I realized this will be the case again during the switchover to my new job, I did the same thing. Now, I could forgive myself the momentary concern last time given the driving across the country in the dead of winter with my worldly possessions in a car I don't quite own yet... but not for a move like this. Sheesh, grow up.

On second thought, maybe that's not such a good idea after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment