Sunday, February 17, 2008

Headed west from the Cumberland Gap

I woke up this morning feeling sad. I think partly it was a bad dream I was having, but I've felt myself beginning to feel a bit blue lately. I decided it's ok to have sad days every once in a while, but that I'd be going outside and playing anyway. Katie and I finally touched base and my day immediately started looking up when within this first two minutes, this conversation took place:

Katie: So, now don't get too excited, but I got you something.
Me: Really? [thinking, an early birthday present?]
Katie: It's really not a big deal, but I'll tell you what it is.
Me: ...
Katie: Cheese! Lots of shredded cheese!

I'm so glad friends and family think of me when they buy cheese! I couldn't help laughing and smiling after that :)

The day only got better from there. It was gorgeous out today! Sunny and warm with lots of people out. It reminded me of how Chicago randomly decides to barf its inhabitants onto the streets and beaches one day and declare it spring. Everyone is blinking in the sunshine, trying to remember what we're supposed to be doing out here and how to interact with strangers again. You know the dedicated people who have been out all along because they're in shorts and avoiding the awkward crowds.

Gazza and I roamed the park for a few hours and then found a little clearing on a bluff overlooking the Sound.







As you can see, she almost always has to be touching me... Anyway, as we were sitting there drinking in the sun and beautiful view, I was thinking about the past year here. I've been in Seattle a few weeks over a year. I'm not sure what I think about the whole thing. It has been really tough and really good. I'm not at all where I thought I'd be when Steff and I rolled in last year, but I like where I am. I was just musing on that when I heard guitars being played from somewhere up above. I tried to freeze frame those few moments because I live for them.

Everything in the world was just right.

After a while, the guitars blended in with the birds and breeze. I was woken out of another reverie when I recognized they were playing Wagon Wheel.



Oh come on, I know it made you smile at least a little bit :) That song reminds me of Steff, and I tried to will her off the slopes of West Virginia and onto my bluff in Seattle. It didn't work. I still had a good time, though. So did Gazza. She's not going anywhere else tonight, that's for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment