Monday, February 11, 2008

A little bird told me

It's three in the morning and I'm woken out of a poor slumber by retching. On my bed. I'm wide awake in a split second and reach to the floor for a shirt as a more suitable, uh, target. As I'm falling back into bed, I see that she's standing up, trying to york on my pillow.

Against my better judgement, although it appears to have helped, she ate two cups of food and drank a bowl of water. When we went out, she did her business, wagged her tail, and started for the door. At any rate, she's sleeping peacefully at my feet now.

I know what you're thinking. But I feed her! She ate today!

As I was bundled up outside, a few thoughts went through my mind. While there's still no discernable sunlight at this hour, it's milder than it has been of late. In fact, it was quite pleasant out. Also, I wouldn't have thought I could feel peacefulness in a city, but it feels notably calm out there overlooking Lake Union and downtown (I suppose that's what happens when you're not a twenty-four hour city). Given that I wasn't sleeping well anyway, I thought about taking a walk but decided against it. It's been a while since I've taken a midnight stroll, and I find I actually miss it.

I couldn't help but laugh at the bird singing out of tune on the roof. Seattle appears to have a thing for discordant morning serenades. Still, it was nice to feel the first breath of spring too. I would have whistled along in kind if I could.

No comments:

Post a Comment