Friday, September 18, 2009

laughing, crying, praying, singing

I was a little disappointed to be back in D ward today, but I think most people have a soft spot for the place where they began- that unit or ward becomes a favorite of sorts*. Going back is kind of like putting on your favorite backpack- you know where all the pockets and straps are... and also where the weak spots are. So back to D ward I went and was pleasantly surprised to find we were restocked with sterile bowls and q-tips.

During report, two things stuck out to me that I thought I'd share for some more change of shift humor.

This morning I heard something I will surely never again hear again:

The doctor was saying she'll need lip volume reduction surgery in Togo.

We all glanced over and indeed she does. The patient had a series of surgeries in a facial reconstruction. I'm sure she'll look better when the bandages are removed, but for now her big puffy lips are only accentuated by the white bandages around her head, chin, and under her nose. I don't mean to make light of the situation because it's important, but you have to admit it does look a bit comical.

Secondly, we turned off the music that had been playing for change of shift at two... and sang Kumbaya. Why? Well, why not? Everybody knows it, and I dare you not to laugh when the magnetic walls of a hospital ward in a big floating hunk of metal are filled (or not filled...) with all the trappings of a mission hospital, African patients are filling beds in various states of healing, and then the Yovos start to sing a hippie campfire song.

Go ahead, keep a straight face.

No comments:

Post a Comment