Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Simple things

I was happy to hear somebody playing the piano this evening when I was walking past the shipshop, already pleasantly surprised to find the store open (needed to get some Ramen noodles, envelopes, and caramel waffles- you know, the essentials). As I started through the glass doors, I heard two familiar notes being played. Pausing for a moment, thinking how unlikely it was, I heard the rest of the song begin.

In quieter moments, I've found myself longing to hear this song. It's a short little piece from that old movie The Man From Snowy River, and it never fails to make me smile. Maybe it's because I've associated it with good memories growing up... maybe it's just a nice reprieve from the kids who sit on the bench plinking away on the same key over and over and over. Whatever the reason, I went over to watch and listen more closely. One of our talented nurses was at the bench, and I had to give her a hug and tell her how happy it made me. Then she started it over again as I stood there.

I don't know what exactly happened, but I had to hold back tears. If music could wrap its melody around you in a coat of contentment, then I wore a full length fur-coat last night for five minutes :)

2 comments:

  1. Jessica's Theme by any chance? I have the same thoughts about that song.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed! We're in good company apparently :)

    ReplyDelete