Saturday, September 26, 2009

The new normal: round two

The walls are magnetic. In the hospital, at least, the ceilings are too. I'm not talking about a coat of magnetic paint, either. I'm talking about liter bags of fluids and curtains hanging from magnetic hooks placed wherever is most convenient. All you need are some magnets and you're set for decorating the walls. Genius, I say!

Your times to get the essentials (toilet paper, food for snacking outside of meal times, and of course caramel waffles) are limited to a few hours a day during the week and not at all on the weekends.

You have to switch off the electrical plug before plugging in or disconnecting. Apparently this was supposed to be common knowledge and not worth explicitly mentioning, but I'd never seen anything like it before. British outlets everywhere except for a few North American ones in the wards. What happens anyway if you don't flip off the plug? Does the ship blow up?

The tv's in the common rooms are invariably tuned into soccer/football, cricket, or animal planet (seriously, I feel like it's "Shark Week" every week). When times of future programs are advertised, it's not listed as "8 pm, 9 EST" but rather" 8pm Istanbul/9 Timbuktu." Ok, I made up the Timbuktu one, but they're always places I never thought I'd be remotely involved with (even just in regards to my tv shows... as if I have any tv shows) Anyway, I always do a double take.

Wearing anything that shows your knees is now distinctly uncomfortable. For the vast majority of us, knees aren't anything to think twice about, but the culture here finds it offensive to show. We can wear shorts during off-hours on the ship, but for the most part it's easier to just wear pants and skirts that cover your knees at all times. So while I know knees are nothing, it still feels strange to walk around wearing anything that doesn't cover my scarred patellas.

You are twice as likely to fall up than down the white stairway from the deck three sleeping area to the dining room or international lounge. Although poised at the top of the stairway before heading down, you get the feeling not unlike the one you get looking over a cliff. That handrail must be the most used by far on the ship.

No comments:

Post a Comment