Thursday, December 18, 2008

Baby it's cold outside!

Seattle is trying to be wintry like Chicago. It has been snowing on and off for a week with a few inches of accumulation in the actually city of Seattle. This is an unusual occurrence and the source of quite a few accidents and delays. I sure wouldn't want to be working at Harborview right now. What you need to know is that Seattleites freak out when it snows in town. I don't think it's because they haven't driven in snow because we're surrounded by mountains in three of the four cardinal directions. I think it's because the snow usually turns to ice, and in case you didn't know, Seattle is very hilly. As in, lots of steep hills here. I learned that snow chains for your tires are legal within the city limits- even the buses have them! I guess I was a bit surprised because Seattle is known more for its rain than snow, and snow chains notoriously tear up roads. 

Anyway, it's very pretty. It's also very cold and many of the roads are ice rinks. I was fascinated to learn that you can call into work if you're concerned about coming in, and they'll send someone out to get you! Also, they'll put you up in a hotel if the commute is too far and dangerous. I live less than three miles away, so I'm not really concerned (there's always the bus), but it's still nice to know. I am not, however, able to pick up The Beast downtown, so tonight I sleep Gazza-less. I'm home from work with body aches, stuffiness, an throbbing achilles tendon, and a raging headache... and am missing her on top of that. The place feels lonely without her beasty noises, dreams, or snuggles.

On the upside of it all, I'm going home to Indiana for the holidays tomorrow! Dee, Nicholas, and I haven't been home together at the same time in well over two years, and I haven't made it home for the prior two Christmases (or any holidays, come to think of it). I'm really looking forward to it! A parting observation by Shawn, "I'm convinced a Seattle weatherman couldn't predict a sunset... lame." Cross your fingers for air travel!

(Also, I've updated so now back to your scheduled postings!)

No comments:

Post a Comment