Monday, December 22, 2008

Happy gotcha day Gazza!

Today, December 21st, is the day Woofda Gucci Ragazza (aka: Caboodles) came home. I worked that night then drove down to Portland. Picking her up, I had only two pictures to go on (and several hours on the phone with the breeder), so when it came time to actually claim her, I wasn't sure I was doing the right thing. We spent the long drive home in the car checking each other out, not quite sure what to think. I couldn't believe I had an animal living with me.

One year later, I can't imagine life without her. Gazza with the three inch fauxhawk. My Beast.















(all pictures shamelessly "borrowed" from Katie/Ellie and Megan/Jeff/Violet- two of her surrogate families)

Yes, she still takes Prozac (though much less). Often she stays in the car. She still has some anxiety about being home alone (but merely sleeps on my pillows and tackles me when I come home). It's a small price to pay compared to one year ago. It's worth everything when we go for walks around Greenlake, spend hours at the beaches and parks, and hike in the silence of the Northwest forests. It's worth it because she's not only acting like a dog now, but she's a happy dog.

Beast? I don't think you'll ever understand how desperate I was for this to work and how close you came to being put down ("not adoptable" indeed). But then again, I wouldn't want you to. All I want is for you to sleep peacefully when I'm gone, cuddle when I'm home, obsess over your ball at the park, and jump around smiling like you do when we're outside. The rest is just details.

Update: I put a link on the left side of this page titled "The Beast" for periodically updated photos of her for those of you who are curious...

No comments:

Post a Comment