Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Spring has sprung

Somebody complained today about how spring lasts forever in Seattle. I have to totally disagree with the complaining part- I think it's one of the things I like best about the area, actually. I'm not a winter sports nut and of course I like summer, but spring and fall are alternately my favorite seasons. I love the crunchy fall leaves, brisk air, autumn colors, and the sense of the world about to sleep.

Fast forward past the actual sleep and I love the waking up part too. Even the warm fake-outs make me happy. A few tantalizingly warm, sunny days followed by rain. The big secret is that it's still not that cold. Usually. The winter gloom here (that I don't think qualifies as "gloom" since it stays green year round) is broken like cracks in cement by spring flowers. And gorgeous cherry blossoms! The birds start singing. The sun is out just a little longer every day, and you find yourself out there with it, willing it to stay out even just a little bit longer. You want it to join you, illuminating all the new paths and crevaces that are asking to be explored. You want to greet the world.

Yeah, I love Seattle's long spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment