Thursday, May 1, 2008

I'm clear, you're clear, we're all clear

I'd like to tell you that Venus was in the solar sixth house yesterday, causing a spontaneous ulcer and a lot of pain. However, I'm forced to admit that the ulcers, in fact, have been around for a while. I've just been ignoring them and hoping they'll go away if I eat enough and take enough drugs (like the good American I am). I'm here to educate you folks- it doesn't work. What did work was some dilaudid, zofran, and sleep. Since none of those are OTC, you'd best be more careful than yours truly. It wasn't until the first shot of dilaudid that I realized how much pain I'd been in. It's interesting, the levels of pain we can ignore.

It was interesting being on the other side of the patient/provider relationship. Not entirely comfortable because I seemed to develop super sensory powers and could just hear the superbugs growing everywhere and creeping closer to me and my IV. If I wasn't stressed before, I was definitely then.

Katie was awesome enough to sit with me and then haul my pale, nauseous body home (narcotics aren't all that stomach friendly). She heated up some soup, got me settled, and then left me to sleep and continue fighting the urge to go into reverse peristalsis. Bob brough Gazza over later in the evening, and she was sniffing me all over and acting worried. Funny how dogs know.

I seemed to have escaped any permanent harm, though. My arm hasn't fallen off and my stomach seems to be back to its norm (which apparently isn't so great to begin with). So here we are again, back to eating, sleeping, and drugging. I was told to reduce my stress. A friend actually tried to get me to talk through some things I can do, and I think I failed. I mean, I can't quit my jobs, I can't (read: won't) give up the dog, and the rest is just... life. I think what I really need to do is take the perfectionism down a notch or two and go on more walks with friends.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you are doing better!!! Sorry we got cut off on Friday. You take care of yourself!!!

    ReplyDelete