Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Like heaven on a bun

On my way to Bellevue tonight, I drove on the 520 bridge over Lake Washington. I always love driving over it because I'm rarely in traffic and I love how the water is usually choppy on one side and smooth on the other. Such an interesting contrast, though I will admit waves crashing over a floating bridge give me the heebie jeebies. On most days the view is very nice as well. Tonight was pretty and the water was glassy on both the north and south sides, though, and made for a peaceful trip.

I can't help but feel a bit guilty when I take 520 over. Like I'm skipping what would surely be a beautiful drive around the north end of Lake Washington. Don't get me wrong, a straight shot on a floating bridge between here and there is helpful and a modern engineering miracle (in my mind), but it still feels like I'm somehow cheating. I wonder if I'll ever get over the subtle exhilaration of driving my car on a huge chunk of floating concrete over a deep, dark, glacially carved lake. I hope not.

Hey. I know "subtle exhilaration" is an oxymoron, but it's the best way I can describe the feeling, so there! Also, I love how Wikipedia validated my observation that traffic in Seattle is totally the reverse of every other big city- traffic heads out of the city in the morning and then back into the city at night.

3 comments:

  1. Fun observations about 520. I have to comment though that while there is also traffic on the reverse, there is plenty of traffic going into the city in the morning and out at night during rush hours. Believe me, I have the pleasure of experiencing it every weekday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I'm totally not jealous ;) I didn't realize until they mentioned it that the I-90 bridge has (grossly) the reverse traffic patterns of 520!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heavan on a bun - hahahahahahaha. What was the other good one. I'm glad you wrote that one down. Ah Scott.

    ReplyDelete