Friday, June 27, 2008

The sun is coming up... and I am going down

So, I quit. I finally broke off my ties to the adult world. I'm now officially a singularly pediatric ICU nurse! The last day (or night, in this case) of orientation was Wednesday, and now they've cut me loose. Buahaha! Ready or not, here I come...

No but really. I have mixed feelings about the leaving of adults, but I think it's the right decision. Who'd have thought I'd leave Chicago and especially that I'd be working peds?? It's been an interesting year and a half.

I finally realized something the nurse educator said she discovered right away: people ask how you can work in peds because it's so unfair that they suffer. I've learned that I can work here because it's unfair. Now, I'm not saying adults deserve everything they get, but by and large, we do bring it on ourselves over years of treating our bodies badly. And yes, I'm right there with the best of 'em. But because it's so unfair with the wee ones, I find it easier to extend that much more grace, effort, and sympathy. Yes, it's gut wrenching but I find it personally more rewarding.

Plus everything is smaller and the hospital rocks.

No comments:

Post a Comment