Saturday, April 26, 2008

Let your troubles roll by

When I was still in nursing school, an awesome preceptor in the ER stuck me into a three-day ACLS class. It was the best class of that type I've ever taken (twelve leads ad nauseum), and I still appreciate his getting me into it so early. Later on, I had to take the provider course, not just the recert course, at The Forefront. It was so bad. To me, it represented too well my concerns regarding the hospital. Lesson learned? Expect nothing and be happy with anything more.

Going in for my PALS (ACLS for the wee ones) this weekend, I wasn't sure what to expect. Today was pleasantly helpful, so I'm calling it a success. Who knew you started CPR on an infant with a heart rate less than sixty? Yikes! Barring a non-perfusing rhythm, that's ridiculous for adults! And then we practiced IO's on chicken legs *shudder* I don't do bones, people. And I certainly don't want to puncture them! Ick.

I couldn't help laughing in the pharmacology portion, though, when we were told, "The problem with procainamide is that while it has been shown to be the best anti-arrhythmic for VT, it's an old drug. Old drugs don't make money, so nobody studies it anymore." That's both sad and scary, but kudos for the honesty, folks.

During lunch I got in touch with Jason to figure out some details for tomorrow at the Tractor. It sounds like a good group will be going, and he's bringing some friends along too. What cracked me up was when he asked what kind of music Storyhill plays. Anybody that invites friends along to a random show based solely on the fact that they're playing at the Tractor is a-okay in my book!

And while I'm being honest, Gazza is with Erica tonight so that she can watch her tomorrow while I finish the course. I'm dying from withdrawal. I feel like I'm missing my own shadow! She's getting so much better and likes Erica, so she'll be fine. Maybe Erica is right, maybe now I'm the one with separation anxiety. Apparently it's contagious! On a different note, her previous owner emailed me some pictures of her with her breeder. I can't bear to look at them again- it makes me want to cry. I like this one much better. My happy shadow :)

1 comment:

  1. that's a great picture of caboodles. where did her eyes go!

    ReplyDelete