Tuesday, April 8, 2008

These shoes are made fer walkin'

I had made it thus far in my new job without hearing the word "forefront" uttered from the lips of any hospital employee. It didn't escape my attention, this conspicuous lack of the word, and it made me like the job even more. Today, however, a speaker said it and my vision of the hospital was rudely shaken into reality. I'm sure they don't know, but the word "forefront" in the context of medicine will never be the same for me. In fact, it's actually a bad thing.

Some more thoughts regarding medicine that came to mind today during the lectures: While the words "kinked bloodline" were used several time in reference to CRRT, every time I heard it, this picture kept coming to mind:

humorous pictures

And then when she went on with her lecture, she referenced an article from "Nomenclature for Continuous Renal Replacement Therapies." Seriously. It's a monthly publication. When I worked at the library in college, I never ceased to be amused at what people find interesting enough to support these ongoing publications. This one receives that dubious honor in my book. Not that CRRT isn't interesting because it's cool, but really? A publication dedicated solely to the system of names and terms of dialysis? Apparently.

Ok, pointless rant finished. Moving along!

I'm trying to be consistent with the running. I've so far kept up twice a week around Greenlake with the running group, and then a few longer runs or hikes in between. It helps that Katie and I have been alternately able to tell each other to HTFU (running slang for suck it up and just do it). I almost bailed on tonight because the sky was looking mean, but in the end it turned out to be great weather for a run- cool and cloudy with periodic sun breaks. Maybe it was just me, but it seemed that the other folks around the lake were in a good mood too :)

We may have started a Tuesday tradition of going for sushi after running. I found myself craving it on the drive over and it hit the spot. Yum! It was nice to look around the table at the random assortment of people who came and know that we all just met but were genuinely enjoying the company :) The topic inevitably turned towards relationships (with four girls at a table it's bound to come up), and I thought Jennie summed up the dating scene in Seattle quite well tonight: the odds are good but the goods are odd! Truer words may never be spoken.

2 comments:

  1. That's why I ended up importing my husband... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you're running - but you are missed Tuesday nights at church too! Don't disappear completely!

    ReplyDelete