Thursday, October 9, 2008

Breathing easy

No pictures to prove it, but I had a great trip home. Of course I missed The Beast, but she was on vacation with Bob. Nicholas came home from his freshman year at IU for the weekend, so it was nice to see him and the lads (Chuck'n'Rudy) in addition to Mom and Dad. Spent a lot of time with my mom and introduced her to FAIL Blog and cake wrecks. Sometimes doing a lot of nothing around family is the best thing for a hurting mind and soul. Don't think I'll be making it home for the holidays, so this trip served double duty.

I was initially planning on hiding away at home and not telling anyone in Chicago of the visit, letting alone going in (sorry guys!). As I was heading home from the airport, though, I saw the skyline and decided I would actually like to spend some time in town. It was great. Jeremy had his birthday dinner at Goose Island (and Jill and Todd were able to stop by for hugs and beer!). Then we went to Second City for a show. Jeremy took improv classes there- I'm in awe of people who can come up with hilarity on the fly like that. Munoz gives me a two week grace period for comebacks- I could never hope to perform improv! But I like to think my inability gives me a better appreciation of it. So yeah, it was good local humor :)

Free dessert to follow was, well, the icing on the cake. The cafe was mostly deserted because the rest of the city was watching the Cubs hand over the Dodgers game in the NLDS. Oops. Jeremy got a totally rad apartment a few blocks from my old place, so we watched movies in anticipation of the city melting down after the game. Strangely it didn't happen. 

In writing I don't suppose it sounds all that grand, but I feel so much better! Also, I put my mattress heater on the bed tonight and relit the pilot light for the fireplace. Man I love fall :)

No comments:

Post a Comment