Saturday, October 25, 2008

Kicking more than just leaves on this beautiful fall day!

Despite that last post, I want to take a moment to brag: I'm not too terribly awful at soccer (just terrible). I'm proud of myself though not delusionally so!

I haven't fallen over the ball (not fallen onto the ground, at least) and can run pretty fast up and down the field. We only play on a third of the field, I admit, but with only five people on each team we run like mad! I also won't claim to be the most aggressive of our group (my knees start balking when I think of running into the melee), but I'm not very passive either. And my coaches like me!

Why am I "bragging" you might be asking yourself. Because after class today I kicked the ball around with a friend. The team using the field after us had a game for which the other team didn't show, so they were just scrimmaging. A guy came over and asked if we'd like to join! Making it clear that we have only "played soccer" two other times, they still welcomed us on the field. Did I mention these guys were amazing? It was a lot of fun, though, and we laughed a lot. But really, my point is to say that I scored a goal! That's right, it was an ugly one but I scored!! And then I helped with a goal assist! 

Though these two things probably don't begin to offset my many ridiculous kicks into thin air, kicks offside, and practically handing the ball to the other team... I'll take them- and pretend I did it on purpose. I felt like one of the cool kids when they thanked us and told us that we did well. Weee!

No comments:

Post a Comment