Monday, July 27, 2009

I'm about to chop those sticks

There's an area on the Africa Mercy that's midway between bow and stern on levels five and six. This area is called the, well, midship lounge (duhr). The ship is a converted transport vessel, and so this particular area was a social area I'm guessing. There's a stairway that divides to the port and starboard, leaving an open atrium for Starbucks, the shipshop, and sitting area. On deck six around the periphery are the computer cluster and open air lounge areas with tv's and couches. By the stairway downstairs there is a piano.

The dorm I stayed in at Culver in the summers (Deck Six, actually) had a piano in its lounge. Not many people ever played it, but one year I had a room nearby. Most of the time that was not a great thing (hard to sleep when people were hanging out), but I noticed that people would play the piano when they thought nobody was around. Nobody thinks they're any good at an instrument, which is really too bad for the rest of us who really don't know how to play. Even if it is just practicing, for the most part I find it enjoyable to listen to people on the piano and guitar.

As Hannah and I joined our first nurses' devotional group in the midships lounge today, a young girl sat down to play "I can show you the world" from Aladdin. As we started praying, the thin little girl sent the soft tune floating up into the lounge into our quiet circle. I'm sure she had no idea, but the little serenade was fitting for the brief meeting we'd just had.

No comments:

Post a Comment