Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Oops

I went to a class on the base yesterday. The base Peleke is stationed on is huge, and consequently there are a lot of resources for families (kids or not). So this class was basically "Welcome to Base Whosiwhatsit! Here is what you need to make sure is updated! Here is what is available to you! Here is what you can expect being married to a guy here!"

While there were some wives of servicemen who had been married 13+ years (a few 20+), the majority of the twenty-some odd participants have been married less than four years. In fact, I was one of three who got married this past May 30th- not to mention two other May weddings. Anyway, I digress. The point was it was a helpful class, I think, for everyone. I'll admit the transition is definitely just that (Mirriam-Webster: a movement, development, evolution from one form, stage, or style to another) but not bad. So for my purposes, I met some other newcomers who are feeling the same way about the new realities, and that helped. Plus I got out of the house and interacted for a day with strangers ("Danger, Will Robinson! Stranger Danger!").

One of the things the coordinator for the class did was that cheesy, well, thing that doesn't have a name that coordinators like to do**. For example:

--The nature of the work is on its own schedule- you will learn that no meeting, date, appointment is ever a sure thing. And to remind you of that... here is a pencil!

--Things are going to be more fluid than you're used to- you will learn to go with the flow and become more flexible. And to remind you of that... here is a slinky!

--It will be easy to get caught up in keeping your family's stuff in working order (especially during deployments)- you will learn to also take care of yourself. And to remind you of that... here are bubbles!

You get the idea. Cute in an amusing sort of way, but we all ended up walking out the door with an assortment of random stuff. While I declined the chocolate bars (cleverly printed as zero calories), my bag did contain the above mentioned stuff plus a yoyo, plastic cup, stress ball, some sort of soap/shampoo/lotion concoction (that 3-in-1 combo scares me), handkerchief, coin (the military likes these), and stuffed bear.

Which brings me to the point of this post (finally). I find it endlessly amusing that if you count out the petals this little guy is plucking



... that you end up on "He loves me not." Some intern at Boyd's just got fired (and we got the results of his handiwork). Hehe.


**To be fair, I did keep the yellow crayon we got during our intro to The Hospital as new grad nurses. "To remember the sunny days," they said. And boy were they right- sunny days were only a memory during that year.

No comments:

Post a Comment