Saturday, July 25, 2009

some thoughts on the beginning

In my effort to stay up another hour before crashing for twelve, I feel like this is a good time to answer some questions I've gotten from friends and family on here. So in true nerdy, bulletpoint form here we are:
  • Mercy Ships is not affiliated with any of the armed services. It is an American company, but it's staffed by volunteers from around the world. The accents and languages I've overheard so far are overwhelming. The ship itself is actually registered in the country of Malta for some maritime reason, so technically I'm in Malta when I'm aboard.
  • If you would like to send letters, I would love it! Just ask and I'll send you the address. Packages are a little tricky because they must be shipped by boat here, which is expensive. I pay about $6 a pound to receive a package, let alone what you pay to send it (though you only pay to send it to Texas). Mail is received a few times a week.
  • There are phones in the rooms, but since I have five roommates, timing is essential. For you, it's as if you're calling Florida (where the communications hub is). Same for me too, actually. If you are flexible when you'd like to chat, we can give it a try. We are five hours ahead of the East Coast and eight ahead of Seattle. What makes me super excited is that this means Peleke and I can talk! :)
  • I didn't know what to tell people when they'd ask what there was to do when I wasn't working. I was amazed during our tour this morning at the number of opportunities to keep busy. The other newbies and I all commented on how it would be easy to get overly involved. In what, you ask? Well in the realm of athletics, there's at least ultimate frisbee, water aerobics, running, and the usual assortment of opportunities in the small workout room. There are always trips ashore to see Cotonou- the markets, restaurants, stores, hotels (for their pools), and its churches on Sundays. Believe it or not, there are camping trips too! On the ship, you can "adopt" a patient and there are of course Bible studies and small groups. You can also volunteer in various ways; for example, the lead eye surgeon here (with quite the impressive resume, I might add) served me my white chocolate Starbucks frappucino tonight!
  • While I do, in fact, get quite seasick, the ship is docked. With the exception of moving ports about once a year and filling with fuel every forty-five days or so, she doesn't move. I mean, she rocks a bit and rises and falls with the tide but not enough to make anyone seasick, me included. Tomorrow we will get fuel. I don't know how far it is, but it's an all day affair. I will let you all know if I get seasick. No? Ok then I won't. But I'll let you know what it's like.
  • I don't know what my schedule is yet. Because we came in late Friday night, we got a small welcome meeting for the essentials and a ship tour this morning. We have tomorrow free to figure some things out for ourselves and then have general and job-specific orientation on Monday.
  • I will try to start uploading pictures soon. I haven't even been on the ship twenty-four hours, though, so please be patient! Plus I'm trying to figure out when it's ok to take them. The culture is different here, both onboard and ashore, and I don't want to be obnoxious or overstep any bounds.
  • The Africa Mercy is not a boat. She's a ship.

No comments:

Post a Comment