Saturday, August 1, 2009

Just sayin'

I'm somewhat of an insomnia connoisseur. I know we all have our various bouts with it and can commiserate. Some of us can settle down with some warm milk and honey. Some of us can watch another tv show to get sleepy. Some of us just close our eyes and wait for it to come. But all bets are off when it comes to Lariam insomnia. Those who have had it or who are experiencing it with me on the ship are sitting here nodding our heads and rolling our eyes. Who even prescribes this stuff anyway?

This is the worst, most complicated case of insomnia I've ever had! My sleep (or lack thereof) is impervious to any assault on it. Ambien? Check? Some OTC muscle relaxer/tylenol mix from another nurse? Check. Warm drink and toast? Check. Getting up early and going to bed late? Check.

The kicker is that no matter how desperate you are to sleep, you're nearly as desperate not to sleep because then the nightmares start. The vivid, disturbing nightmares. The lorazepam today was the only thing that has given any relief, but that's not something I'd like to continue.

My unsolicited advice to future Mercy Shippers? Take doxy and bypass the whole Lariam experience, regardless of what your doctor prescribes*. The trip ain't worth it.

*The nursey part of me says there are hard contraindications to any medication, doxy included. But make sure your doc has a really good reason for starting you off on Lariam.

2 comments:

  1. I hear you sister. I think i might be able to get you the name of a doc that can give you some propofol...but i think he might have some legal restrictions currently.

    At least with Doxy you can also get treated for STDs. Sorry, had to say it.

    Malarone, here i come!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, that's so wrong Katie... so wrong. Fortunately the worst seems to be over, so I'm holding out hope that I'm not crazy after all :) Malarone, here you come!

    ReplyDelete