Sunday, August 23, 2009

Housekeeping, of sorts

In true nerd form (bulletpointed) here we go:
  • I'm having trouble with Picasa, the program I use to upload pictures for the blog. Until I get it figured out (and help is solicited here), there won't be any pictures posted.
  • My back is remarkably better. I'm sure it will flare up with decreasing frequency in the coming weeks or months, but for now it feels so much better. I think it would be prudent to work nights for a few weeks since it's somewhat less physical work (bending, lifting, etc), though I'm not wild about that prospect either. The crew doctor and I agree, however- I'm here to work, not be a tourist. So working takes precedence over spending my days off visiting the sights, swimming at the nearby pool, and playing ultimate frisbee.
  • Hubert is not well. His disease process is progressing classically and not for the better. We are giving a twenty-four hour wait period before we give a good hard reassessment of the situation. The questions are important but tough. For example, if by the grace of God he does survive, his little body- his lungs, his liver, his kidneys- will be unable to withstand surgery. A cleft palate repair is highly unlikely... which leaves us back at square one- a severely malnourished baby unable to eat who is demon possessed in the eyes of his village. The ship leaves in December. What is a realistic expectation here?

No comments:

Post a Comment