Saturday, August 8, 2009

Bittersweet: a metaphor used to describe an experience with binary elements of happiness and sadness

Today we went to Porto Novo, the capital of Benin. It was fun and I'll post pictures later. What I really want to say tonight, though, is that if it was possible to will Peleke here with me, I would have done it. I wanted to go to the bonfire somewhere down the way on the beach tonight, but I just couldn't bear the thought of something so fun and familiar without him.

Not today.

Instead, I spent the evening hours reading a brainless book in my bunk, serenaded by the Paperboys and Alison Krauss, and now typing this entry with the cabin light glinting off the stand-in wedding ring. My Culver sweatshirt* is serving as a pillow for the computer and the crew emblem on the t-shirt I'm wearing to bed catches my eye every now and then. If I close my eyes tightly, I can almost imagine I'm back home and Peleke has just stepped into the other room for a minute. Almost.


*ask anybody- Culver issued clothing never dies. Never dies.

1 comment:

  1. It never, never, never dies. As evidenced by the fact that Culver t-shirts (in their unique soft cotton way) are the staples of Alex's clothing. When they're old and ratty, I'm guessing we'll just have to go buy more.

    ReplyDelete