Saturday, August 15, 2009

Game night AFM style

We (a random assortment of new and "old" friends) played some games upstairs in the midship lounge tonight. I am proud to say I sat up for the entire thing with at least no progression of already present pain. Success.

Cranium is always interesting. Everybody has their strong suits and it's luck of the draw when strangers come together to play- sometimes you get a good variety of strengths in a team. Other times, like tonight, your team is heavily weighted one way or another. We got stomped. The embarrassing thing was that my team was all Americans. Now, I never thought of Cranium as a particularly nationality-specific game... but clearly it is. We had people from other English speaking countries (Australia, New Zealand, the UK, and South Africa) but also from the likes of Germany (I'm sure I'm missing some). Sadly, my team had a woeful showing for a basic understanding of the electoral college, presidential knowledge, and American sports trivia. Seriously, the non-Americans beat us at our country-specific trivia. It was shameful. The game was redeemed in my eyes when, as a result of a dreaded yellow card, the old "i before e" rule was discussed... only to be further elaborated upon by grumpy Hannah (who later became not grumpy). As we sat there laughing out Brian Regan's* version, I realized that there is some serious Regan-izing to be done aboard the AFM.

As with most things, caramel wafers and laughter eased the pain of shattered egos, and the night wore on. I continued my abysmal game skills when Taboo came around, beaten soundly in my own first language. My ego was slightly rebuilt when Set came out and played with a smaller crowd (of about nine people). Of course, I was the only one who has played it more than a week, but I can't be bothered to dwell on that little detail. Instead I choose to tell you that the new players are astonishingly quick.

It was a great evening and I only wish that I had thought to bring Loaded Questions. That game would be fantastic here!


* Correct, I did not hyperlink the 's after his name. It seemed improper and APA style doesn't have an opinion on the matter apparently.

No comments:

Post a Comment