Friday, August 14, 2009

Fon is funny

So there's this website somebody pointed out that is actually both amusing and helpful. While French is the national language of Benin, many people only speak Fon- including some of our patients. Translating can be tedious and time-consuming.

There's this one page of the helpful website, then, called Greetings that State the Obvious. I find this heading hilarious.

A do fine a? "Are you here?"
Eeen, un do fi. "Yes, I'm here."

The benefit of this one is that not only is it a greeting, but it's also a condoned filler for awkward conversational lulls. Now this is my kind of language!

Kud'afo "I wish you well in the fact that you're walking"
ooooOOOO this is an accepted acknowledgment to the greeting...

it's also my feeling in regards to being up and walking.

No comments:

Post a Comment